Introduction to Structural Appraisals
The eLearning training course comprises of four detailed modules, with information of their content available on the Programme Overview tab. The course will save your progress and may be taken in your own time.
Appraisal of an existing building, whether period building or a recently constructed one, is of great importance for its maintenance and any required repairs. Such appraisal requires identification of any structural or non-structural damage. Any remedial action required is based on the knowledge gathered.
- Introduction to structural appraisal
- General behaviour of structures
- Types of buildings and their foundations
- Causes of structural damage
- Shrinkage and expansion
- Methods of investigation
- Desktop study and initial appraisal
- Visual site inspection
- Structural survey
- Structural monitoring
- Interpretation of results of investigation
- Causes and indicators
- Masonry and ground
- Sudden damage
Please note that the licence is valid for 6 months only from date of purchase.
At the completion of the training, the trainees will be able to:
- Define the term “structural appraisal”
- List and categorise the causes of structural damage
- Identify methods of investigation based on the visual tell-tales.
This eLearning training course is suitable for:
- Civil engineers
- Structural engineers
- Building surveyors
- Loss adjusters
- Those who have a stake in the maintenance and repairs of buildings.
A basic understanding of civil engineering practice and terminology is required.