Highway Design and Detailing using the DMRB
Day one outlines the structure, terminology and application of the DMRB, focussing on the assessment, design and geometry of highway schemes with particular reference to link and junction design.
Day two provides advice, guidance and opinion on pavement and drainage design, ancillary road features and safety audits.
The training course is highly interactive with workshop exercises throughout. Delegate participation is actively encouraged.
The Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) is the design standard for trunk roads in the UK and provides comprehensive guidance on the assessment, design and delivery of road schemes. It is also widely used for non trunk roads, small schemes, improvements and development proposals as it provides a rigorous approach to delivering effective highway design.
Sessions begin at 9:00 and finish at 17:00. Morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch are included in the programme.
- Session 1 - Introduction to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB)
- Session 2 - Highway capacity; links and junctions
- Session 3 - Road layout and geometry
- Session 4 - Geometric layout of junctions
- Session 1 - The road in cross section
- Session 2 - Pavement design
- Session 3 - Highway drainage
- Session 4 - Drainage system details
- Session 5 - Roadside features
- Session 6 - Road safety audits
At the end of the course, participants should have:
- Knowledge of how to assess highway capacity at links and junctions
- Ability to design links, junctions and interchanges
- Knowledge of the structure, aims and practical application of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB)
- Knowledge of road pavement design
- Knowledge of design methods for highway drainage systems
- Knowledge of the design of roadside features
- Awareness of road safety audits
This training course will benefit all those looking for an introduction to highway design. Delegates will include:
- Graduate civil engineers
- Graduate transportation engineers
- Designers new to the field of highway design
- Construction professionals