ICE Mini-MBA in Infrastructure
Building upon prior knowledge and skills it will enable engineers and others to direct your personal and professional development towards gaining the leadership skills required in senior roles within the infrastructure sector.
It is endorsed by the Institution of Civil Engineers as it combines proven-by-practice methods with cutting edge insights and strategies that will nurture your leadership and managerial skills. You will gain a wider perception of management practice through the 2 days mentor led classroom session with practical exercises, case applications, and 6 self-paced eLearning modules, followed by an assessed personal and professional reflection before the end of the 12 months to conclude the programme and validate your development.
Book your place for one of the classroom dates above and get immediate access to the eLearning modules. A digital certification will be awarded upon successful completion of the course and assessment.
What is a Mini-MBA?
A mini-MBA is an accelerated format of an MBA, offering greater accessibility and flexibility to those looking to upskill and stand out from their peers. While not an alternative or replacement for a full MBA course, a mini-MBA provides a significant contribution to your lifelong learning without having to put your career on pause. It is a valuable addition to your CV without the time or financial investment required for a full MBA course.
ICE Endorsement Statement
The Institution of Civil Engineers is delighted to endorse the Thomas Telford Mini-MBA in Infrastructure programme. It will be a useful tool in equipping junior/middle managers with the practical, operational, and managerial skills that in turn will support the development of management careers. The mini-MBA combines proven-by-practice methods with cutting edge insights and strategies that will nurture a candidate’s leadership and managerial skills. Candidates will gain a wider perception of management practice through mentor-led classroom sessions, practical exercises, and case applications. The Institution commends the mini-MBA in Infrastructure as an important post-qualification development programme.
This programme is a strategic investment in mid-career professionals with the expectation that the knowledge gained will impact the bottom line and moreover enable the organisation develop and mould it's next generation of leaders.
The management and leadership competencies of mid and later career professionals is pivotal for organisations seeking a competitive edge, leading to profit and sustainability. Succession planning is essential to the survival of organisations. It is vital to give young professionals an evolving programme of management training to enable effective deployment of their technical expertise.
In the early and mid-stages of their careers, engineers must progressively learn to combine technical excellence with productivity. However, mid-career professionals need to do much more so that they can contribute to and eventually be responsible for innovation and strategy - and evolve to hold transformative executive roles. The Mini-MBA in Infrastructure is specifically designed to help you achieve these goals.
Looking for more information? View the delegate handbook for details on booking, assessments, and other FAQs. You can also find more details about the assessment in the Assessment Guide and Template.
ICE Members are eligible for a 10% discount - find out more here.
The programme is a blend of virtual classroom sessions and self-paced eLearning modules followed by an assessed personal and professional reflection which will bring together the elements of the programme and validate your development.
The self-paced eLearning modules include:
- Management and Leadership for Engineers
- Procurement, Contracts and Project Management
- Project Appraisal and Financial Management
- Introduction to Sustainable Development
- Digital Transformation: Implementing a BIM Strategy
- CDM2015: The Full Picture, Principles and Practice
You will have access to the eLearning throughout your 12-month enrolment, but it is highly recommended that you complete the module on Management and Leadership for Engineers before the classroom takes place.
The two-day classroom course covers:
- Management and Leadership – basic model
- Fundamental Business Structure of Commercial Organisations
- Management as a Science
- People and Culture
- Business Delivery
- The Role of Self
- Business Development
- Leadership in the Real World
There will be opportunities for group discussion, talking through real life scenarios and relevant case studies, so that you can interact and learn from other delegates.
Upon completion of classroom and eLearning, you will be able to book your assessment by submitting your completed assessment form, supported by a testimony from your nominated supporter (usually your line manager, or other senior manager), on the learning portal 6 months after your course start date. Upon successful submission, a telephone interview with one of our assessors will be arranged to review your assessment form and conduct a virtual interview to validate your development for the final certification.
You can find more details about the assessment in the Assessment Guide and Template.
Alan is a chartered engineer who, after holding roles in project engineering and engineering management, has spent most of his career in management consultancy and training. His client base has been largely in the international energy sector – mainly oil and gas with the corporates and major contractors.
The vast majority of his consultancy roles – 150 assignments for 65 clients - have involved working with engineers, technologists and IT professionals at all levels. His knowledge of technology and empathy with a wide range of science-based professionals has enabled him to successfully develop and facilitate leading edge solutions. Working closely with such professionals has exposed him to the frustrations experienced by them in such environments – much of it unnecessary and readily correctible – this is the basis used for the development of this mini-MBA.
The Approach – from Alan
Upon completion of this programme, you will be able to:
- Describe current and emerging strategies and policies within infrastructure
- Lead themselves and others to contribute to organisational success
- Develop and implement strategies to support high performance within a collaborative, innovative and effective structure and culture
- Recognise the contributing factors to organisational success and establish supporting strategies
- Define and manage the stakeholder environment and effectively define and manage stakeholder engagement strategies
- Identify and analyse data and information to inform decision making
- Identify and develop opportunities to grow revenue and/or develop new revenue streams
This training course has been developed for people who are aspiring for more senior management roles. A delegate will likely fit some of the following descriptions:
- Junior/middle management with some years of experience in the construction industry, and want to progress their career
- Have day-to-day task of managing infrastructure projects
- Have experience of budgets and financial management
- Leading co-ordinator on relatively complex projects, managing several simultaneously
- Runs a team of more junior managers or project team members
- Responsible for business opportunities and bids for large scale projects
- Works strategically to improve procedures, standards or policies