ICE Exam: Project Appraisal and Financial Management
The course looks at project appraisal and financial management issues from both a theoretical and applied perspective, with topics ranging from the role of governance to the concepts of financial uncertainty and value management.
There is a section for each of the syllabus topics and you can track your progress from the landing page of the eLearning.
What is the ICE Exam?
The ICE exam is available to members who have been advised they need to demonstrate non-technical further learning before they can apply for ICE’s Chartered Professional Review and who do not have the required academic qualifications to do so.
Please be aware that the course content is very similar to the Project Appraisal and Financial Management eLearning.
The eLearning covers the following topics:
- Corporate governance
- Construction economics
- Project finance and infrastructure funding
- Project Appraisal
- Financial appraisal techniques
- Cost benefit and cost optimisation techniques
- Financial risk and uncertainty
- Performance measurement
- Value and risk management
Please note that the licence is valid for 12 months only from date of purchase.
This course ties in with the ICE Exam curriculum for Module 3: Project Appraisal and Financial Management. At the end of this course you will be able to do the following:
- Understand what governance is, its role in project management and recognise governance frameworks
- Be able to discuss the economic or business cycle
- Recognise the difference between finance and funding and the infrastructure for both
- Evaluate and compare project appraisal options, present the results and make recommendations
- Have a broad understanding of financial and economic appraisal techniques
- Understand the nine steps that are required to complete a cost benefit analysis
- Recognise the challenges of financial risk and uncertainty, and understand some approaches to dealing with these
- Be able to apply performance management principles including return on investment, cost / benefit analysis and earned value management
- Understand value and risk management principles
On completion of the eLearning you should have a solid understanding of each of the syllabus topics, and combined with your own experience and further reading, be able to apply this to the ICE Exam case study questions to demonstrate a master’s level of critical discussion.
This training course is designed for candidates preparing to sit the ICE Exam. The ICE exam is available to members who are already registered with us and who have been advised they will need to demonstrate non-technical further learning before they can apply for ICE’s Chartered Professional Review (CPR), or Chartered Professional Review Progressive (CPRP), and who do not have the required academic qualifications to do so. This ICE Exam targets:
- Those with BEng(Hons) degrees accredited for CEng with further learning.
- Those who graduate after June 2019 with a Washington Accord accredited Bachelor degree.
The exam allows candidates with BEng (Hons) degree or equivalent to demonstrate the CEng educational base without needing to undertake conventional further learning such as a master’s degree. It is not a standalone qualification, but a way for applicants to demonstrate their further learning in order to progress to Professional Review.