Sustainable Development - Design, Construction and Maintenance
The training is focussed and immediately deployable, delivering practical, useable and effective advice for you, your projects and your clients. You will be able to assess the impact and returns for your decisions, undertaking a technology, ecology and commercial benefit analysis through case study and group exercise.
During the course you will consider the key aspects of sustainable development, including:
- The drivers – moral, financial and legislative
- The options – design, construction, and new technology
- The impact – during design, construction and end use
- The returns – social, environmental and commercial
Sessions begin at 9:00 and finish at 17:00. Morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch are included in the programme.
- Session 1 - Sustainable development - technology and ecology
- Session 2 - Legislation update
- Session 3 - Sustainable indicators
- Session 4 - Benchmarking
- Session 5 - Designers, contractors and clients
- Session 6 - Emerging technology
Lewis is a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered Environmentalist, a Specialist in Land Condition, a Chartered Water & Environmental Manager and a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers. As a Technical Director at Sweco, Lewis has responsibility for carbon management and sustainability across the UK. A member of CIWEM’s Climate Change Network Steering Group and a registered tutor for Thomas Telford Training Ltd, Lewis is keen to underline the important contributions that infrastructure professionals can make to both climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Sue is a former director of sustainability and has a wealth of experience of developing and delivering practical solutions on a wide variety of projects for public and private clients. She is a subject matter expert with insights from the client, consultant and contractor perspectives with a deep understanding of the sustainability agenda.
By the end of this course, delegates should understand:
- The technological and ecological solutions to design, construction and maintenance
- How to integrate sustainability into projects
- The importance of and opportunities for sustainable development
- The sustainability agenda
- Key advantages and disadvantages of technological and ecological approaches
- The ways in which the economy, society and the built and natural environments can grow, develop and succeed together
This training course is ideal for:
- All members of the project team – clients, designers, contractors and operators
- Those in the early stages of their professional development, and progressing towards membership of a professional institution
- Local and county authority staff that have a responsibility for ensuring best practice compliance for sustainable development