ICE Law and Contracts and NEC4
The course is divided into a series of easily digestible modules with case studies and tests of understanding. The law modules will prepare you for paper 1 (law) and the NEC eLearning will prepare you for paper 2 (NEC contracts).
The course delivers a thorough understanding of the practicalities of contracts from the basis of English law, through contract formation, to their administration on civil engineering projects.
The legal system is outlined and an overview of dispute resolution from negotiation to arbitration is presented.
Developed in partnership with Corbett & Co International Construction Lawyers.
The principles of contract formation are introduced and discussed and the essential steps necessary to create a binding and enforceable contract defined. Risk analysis and management in a contractual environment is presented, highlighting the key areas of risk under contract consideration. All supported by relevant case studies.
The eLearning modules are:
- The Law of Contract
- The Law of Evidence
- The Law of Tort
- Health and Safety
- Promotion, Tendering and Procurement Documentation
- Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
- Introduction to the NEC4 ECC
- Introduction to the NEC4 PSC
- Introduction to the NEC4 TSC
- Introduction to the NEC4 ECSC
Please note that the licence is valid for 12 months only from date of purchase.
What will you learn?
- You will have a basic understanding of English law and the operation of the English legal system
- You will recognise the principles of Contract Law that are applied to construction industry contracts
- You will gain an appreciation of the NEC
- You will gain a broad understanding of the procurement process
- You will understand the tender process and its function in a construction contract
- You will understand the contractual and administrative basis of extension of time, submission and settlement of claims and the payment process.
This course is designed for:
- All those looking to sit the ICE Law and Contracts examination papers 1 & 2
- Civil, structural and building engineers in the early stages of their professional development
- Project Managers
- Quantity surveyors and construction professionals needing a broad introduction to the commercial and contractual approaches of the civil engineering industry.
All those looking to sit the ICE Law and Contracts examination papers 1 and 2. The ICE Law and Contracts exam is a classroom based exam. You will need to register and pay for this separately. The exam is held once a year, in London. If you are based overseas we may be able to help you sit the exam in your own region. More details can be found at the ice.org.uk/law-and-contracts-exam.