The emphasis is on the development of practical solutions to design problems, working to current design codes and standards. The course is fully Eurocode compliant.
The geotechnical notes and presentations deal with:
- Bearing capacity and settlement in spread foundations
- The conceptual and detailed design of spread foundations for simple and complex loading
- Geotechical design of piles and pile groups
- Design of piled foundations including pile layouts, pile cap and ground beam systems
- Determination of earth pressures on retaining structures
- Design of reinforced concrete gravity and mass walls, embedded and gabion walls
The notes also include a brief introduction to Eurocodes and their application to foundation design.
Sessions begin at 9:00 and finish at 17:00. Morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch are included in the programme.
- Session 1 - Introduction
- Session 2 - Soil properties
- Session 3 - Spread foundations
- Session 4 - Piled foundations
- Session 1 - Piled foundations
- Session 2 - Earth retaining structures
- Session 3 - Gravity walls
- Session 4 - Embedded and gabion walls
BSc(Eng) CEng MiStructE
Bob is a senior project engineer working on the design of building and civil engineering structures in the Highways and Transportation Department of a Utility Authority. He is responsible for the day to day management of a wide range of projects, and in recent years, has specialised in projects which involve a high level of technical complexity. He regularly works with other consultants and contractors. He also works as a part-time lecturer, teaching whole units on HND/Degree courses, teaching on professional examination, preparation courses and as a contributor to seminars on structural design.
At the end of this two day course the delegates should be able to:
- Understand the importance of geotechnical investigation in foundation design
- Apply analytical skills to solving problems in foundation design
- Understand the basic requirements of Eurocodes for foundation design
- Appreciate the interaction between soils and structures structure and the soil
- Identify the key geotechnical and structural issues in foundation design
- Appreciate the range of foundation types available and their application
- Select an appropriate foundation system for a structure
- Appreciate the practical problems of design and detailing when designing foundations
This training course is ideal for all those involved in the design of foundations, including:
- Civil engineers
- Structural engineers
- Geotechnical engineers